Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pineapple Chicken Kabobs

I bought a fresh pineapple the other day for $.79 a pound (saving over $5.00!) and I couldn't wait to use it. I decided I wanted to pair it with chicken and some sort of Asian sauce, but I couldn't find one that looked appetizing AND called for ingredients I had on hand. So I improvised, and this is what I came up with. I only marinated the chicken for about 20-25 minutes, and it didn't seem to have soaked up too much of the flavors. So I'd suggested maybe marinating for a couple hours, or maybe even overnight.

Pineapple Chicken Kabobs

Cubed fresh pineapple (you could also use canned pinapple chunks- tidbits would be too small)
1" cubes raw chicken
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 2 cloves fresh garlic finely minced)
1/4 tsp ground ginger (I used the powdered stuff, if you have fresh use probably about 1/2 to 1 tsp)
1 tsp dried chives (If you have fresh, use 1 Tbl- you could also use green onion)

Combine everything, leaving out the pineapple, and let marinate for several hours. Place chicken and pineapple on wooden skewers, alternating between the two. Grill until chicken is cooked all the way through- I used my George Foreman and it took about 2-3 minutes per kabob. If you are using a BBQ grill, cook for about 2-3 minutes per side (or longer) until done.

***Note: I didn't actually measure the sauce ingredients when I threw this dinner together. Just play with it until it tastes right to you. You could even add in some red pepper flakes for a little spice!***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails