Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Ranch Style Biscuits

This recipe comes from cooks.com. I have to admit that I use this site a lot to find a basic recipe outline to follow when I have an idea of what I want to make with the ingredients I have on hand. This works because I usually tweak recipes anyway to fit my family's needs. The alteration I made to this recipe was to "make" my own buttermilk because I never have it on hand. To do it, you put 1 Tbl vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup and then add enough milk to make 1 cup and let sit for about 15 minutes before adding it to the recipe. Since this recipe calls for 2 cups buttermilk, double the instructions I just gave you.

Ranch Style Biscuits

4 1/2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil
1 package yeast equal to 2 1/2 teaspoons) dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
2 cups buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and stir well. Pour onto floured surface, pat with hands to one inch thick and cut biscuits into desired size. Place in lightly greased iron skillet or cookie sheet and bake at 425F until golden brown.

Makes about 30 at a time.

The recipe on cooks.com also stated that the dough freezes well. I tried it and it does work, the only drawback is that the biscuits don't get as fluffy or big as when you bake the dough immediately after creating it. I pulled them out of the freezer about 30 minutes before I baked them. Maybe if you pull them out of the freezer the day before and put them in the fridge, I just never really plan that far ahead! If you try a different freezer method that works, leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails