Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bean Soup

The original recipe calls for navy beans, but I used great northern beans and it came out great. This makes a lot, so I did about half and that was plenty for my two-person household! (We like a lot of flavor, so although I did half the beans and about 2/3 the ham, I kept all the veggies and spices, etc. the same.)

Ingredients:
1 lb. dry beans
6 c. water
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, don't drain
1 medium to large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 lb. chopped ham (there was a sale on pork, so that's what I used)
1 cube chicken bouillon
2 T. Worcestershire sauce (I used a little more)
1 t. dried parsley
2 t. garlic powder (again, I used a little more)
salt and pepper
3 cups water

Directions:
1. Combine beans, water, tomatoes, onion, celery, garlic, ham, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, and parsley in a stock pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for two hours.

2. Add additional water. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for additional two hour.

Note: Keep an eye on the soup as it simmers. You may need to add a little water every once in a while, and even at the end, if it the broth looks a little low when you're ready to serve, don't hesitate to put in a couple of cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails