Monday, November 16, 2009

Easy Microwave Toffee

I know I've been posting a lot of recipes for desserts, but desserts are the easiest thing for me to want to try new recipes for! I'll do my best to start trying new main courses, breads, and side dishes! However, this toffee is really good! It's butter and crunchy, and the best part is you don't need a candy thermometer and it's all done in the microwave. You just have to make sure you keep a good eye on it so you don't burn the toffee. But even then, it's pretty easy to make this yummy treat! I did find the amount of chocolate called for was a little much, so next time I think I'll cut it in half. This recipe came from my parents' ward cookbook.

Easy Microwave Toffee
Courtesy of Yvonne Harman

1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (if you use salted butter, leave this out!)
1/4 cup water
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (I left these out)

Line and 8"x8" baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside. Put the butter, sugar, salt, and water in a 2 quart microwave safe casserole dish. Do not stir. Put the dish in the microwave for 7 minutes. Check to see if the mixture has changed from yellow to a light tan color. If not, continue cooking a minute at a time (I think I had to do a total of 7 extra minutes, so be patient if it seems like it's taking forever). You need to watch it here to keep it from scorching and remember, don't stir. Once mixture has reached the light tan stage, pour into prepared baking dish. Let sit for one minute. Sprinkle semi-sweet morsels on top and let sit for one more minute, or until morsels have softened. Using a spatula, spread the morsels over the toffee. Top with chopped pecans. Place the baking dish into the refrigerator until the toffee has cooled completely. Lift out the aluminum foil and break the toffee into bite-sized pieces (I just used my hands).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails