Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Twice Baked Potatoes

Potatoes are the ultimate side dish and often make themselves known in main courses, too. This is one of those recipes that can go either way. Feel free to substitute your favorite baked potato toppings. Because I'm dieting, we kept our simple, but I would have loved to load them with butter, sour cream, bacon, and lots of cheese! This recipe comes from a Weight Watchers cooking booklet my mom gave to me.

Twice Baked Potatoes

4 hot baked russet potatoes cut in half lengthwise**
1/2 cup fat-free milk (I used 1%)
2 tsp fat-free margarine
1 cup steamed broccoli florets, chopped (I didn't have any on hand)
1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced scallions/green onions (I think this was way too much- maybe use 2 Tbl)


Preheat oven to 375*F. Carefully scoop pulp from potatoes into a medium bowl; set shells aside. (I found it easier to scoop the potatoes if I let them cool slightly before I cut them in half and then again before I scooped.)

With a fork or potato masher, mash pulp with milk and margarine; mix in broccoli, cheese, and scallions.

Divide mixture among shells; bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 232 calories, 1 g fat, 6 g fiber or 5 weight watcher points

**To bake your potatoes: Wash skins of potatoes, prick each potato a couple of times with a fork to let the steam escape during baking, and then bake at 350*F for 45 minutes to an hour. You can wrap in foil, but I didn't with great results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails