Friday, March 13, 2009

Homemade chicken broth


The other day I tried my hand at making some homemade chicken broth. It's really easy to do and requires little supervision. The best part is that it is practically free to make!


Homemade chicken broth

1 chicken carcass (Or you can use the bones from bone in chicken breasts, thighs, or drumsticks. It'll work better if you have more than just 3 or 4 bones, so if you need to, save some bones in the freezer until you have enough- probably around 10 or 12)

1 onion, quartered

3 or 4 sticks celery with greens

2 cups or so baby carrots or 3-4 regular carrots

2 bay leaves

about 6 cups of water

salt to taste


Put chicken carcass into crockpot stoneware and add onion, celery, carrots, and bay leaves. Add water until it reaches 2 inches from rim of crock. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Remove vegetables, leaves, and chicken bones from broth. Add salt to taste. Spoon into ziploc baggies by 1 or 2 cup portions (I used sandwich bags, and they should not be filled with anymore than 2 cups each- 1 cup is probably more ideal). Place in refrigerator to cool. Once cooled, skim fat off of top of broth and discard.

To store, freeze (It's best to lay the baggies flat on a baking sheet until they're frozen so you can conserve precious freezer space. You can remove the sheet once the baggies retain a flat shape and then use the baggies to fill whatever nooks or crannies you have in your freezer.)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind that I've been blog-stalking you! I think this blog is an awesome idea and I'm super excited to try the recipes! I just wanted to share some websites I've found that include easy/cheap meals (actually, I follow a TON of cooking blogs but I'll just give ya a couple here):

    www.5dollardinners.com/
    http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/ -- This blog is actually more about this lady feeds her family of 6 on $60 per month, but she has also shared some of her recipes (which of course, are frugal!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails