Monday, March 8, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

This is a recipe I put together after looking hard for a Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe, and not being satisfied with the results. The wild rice I bought was marked up quite a bit, but if you live in a larger city than Rexburg, Idaho, you can probably find it cheaper than I did. If not, you can use regular white rice, but I would wait to add it until around the last hour of cooking in the crockpot. I am sure you could also use brown rice, but I am still trying to master that topic so I do not have any advice right now. I used rosemary and bay leaf as my seasonings (besides salt and pepper), but most of the recipes I found called for sage. I did not have sage, but if you would prefer it, just substitute it for the rosemary. You can also leave the bay leaf out, but I prefer it in my soups. This goes great with a side salad and rolls.

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
8 cups chicken broth (I used reconstituted chicken boullion)
2 cups shredded chicken
2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
1/2 medium onion, chopped (I used 2 Tbl chopped dehydrated onion)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 tsp rosemary (or you could use sage)
1 large bay leaf or 2 small ones
salt and pepper, to taste
Add all the ingredients into a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours.
You could probably also use the stove top to cook this. Just make sure the rice is cooked and the vegetables are tender before you serve it- I'm just not sure how long it would take...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails