Saturday, March 20, 2010

Very Best Egg Rolls

I ended up with a lot of cabbage in my refrigerator and decided to make something Chinese. I found this recipe on Recipe Zaar and it had good ratings so I gave it a whirl. They were delicious and are very welcome in my small, but growing, collection of Chinese recipes. I served them with the sweet and sour sauce from My Kitchen Cafe's Sweet and Sour Chicken, some brown rice cooked in chicken broth and some veggies. To make these a little more economical (they're already pretty cheap), you could use either the whole head of Napa cabbage or the whole head of green cabbage. Next time (because there will be a next time!) I'm thinking I'll add some shredded zucchini and maybe some finely diced mushrooms. But they were great the way I made them, too!


Very Best Egg Rolls

2, 12 oz. packages frozen spring roll wrappers (I used 1 package of the large square wraps found in the produce section, usually by the Chinese vegetables)
1/2 pound pork, finely diced (I just used some pork chops)
1/2 head Napa cabbage, finely chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, finely chopped
1 large carrot, grated
2-3 green onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used my garlic press)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 egg, beaten (for wrapping)

Defrost spring roll wraps as directed on package.

Mix cabbages, carrot, garlic, green onion, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Add pork and soy sauce; mix well.

Lay wrap in front of you so it looks like a diamond. Place 2-3 tablespoons pork filling in center (so it is like a log going from right point to left point). Fold bottom point up over filling and roll once. Fold in right and left points. Brush beaten egg on top point. Finish rolling wrap. Repeat with remaining filling.

Heat 2-3 inches oil in large frying pan to 350*F (I used canola oil). Place a few egg rolls in pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side- be careful not to crowd the pan so they rolls brown nicely. Drain on paper towels and serve with your favorite sweet and sour sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails