- 2 Tablespoons Butter (I used olive oil to brown the veggies in and nothing for the beef)
- 2-½ pounds Ground Beef
- ½ whole Large Onion, Diced
- 1 whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced (I also added in 1-2 diced tomatoes)
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-½ cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard (I used about 2 -3 tsp prepared mustard)
- ½ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
- Worcestershire Sauce To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (optional) (I left out)
- Tabasco Sauce (optional; To Taste) (I left out)
- Salt To Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
- Kaiser Rolls (I used homemade hamburger buns)
Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Spread rolls with butter and brown on a griddle or skillet. Spoon meat mixture over the rolls, topping with a slice of cheese if it makes your skirt fly up. Serve hot with kettle cooked chips!