Thursday, May 27, 2010

PW Sloppy Joes

The wonderful Pioneer Woman inspired this dish and it was well worth the effort. I would highly recommend serving these on homemade hamburger buns, too. The sloppy joes were excellently flavored and also served as a hideout for some peppers and tomatoes I had lurking around my house waiting to be used. This is definitely something the whole family can enjoy!

PW Sloppy Joes

  • 2 Tablespoons Butter (I used olive oil to brown the veggies in and nothing for the beef)
  • 2-½ pounds Ground Beef
  • ½ whole Large Onion, Diced
  • 1 whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced (I also added in 1-2 diced tomatoes)
  • 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1-½ cup Ketchup
  • 1 cup Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
  • 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard (I used about 2 -3 tsp prepared mustard)
  • ½ teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
  • Worcestershire Sauce To Taste
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (optional) (I left out)
  • Tabasco Sauce (optional; To Taste) (I left out)
  • Salt To Taste
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • Kaiser Rolls (I used homemade hamburger buns)
  • Butter
Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.

Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.

Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Spread rolls with butter and brown on a griddle or skillet. Spoon meat mixture over the rolls, topping with a slice of cheese if it makes your skirt fly up. Serve hot with kettle cooked chips!

2 comments:

  1. Tari, I subscribe to this blog, and I totally keep up with it, I just never comment. And I'm so sorry! Just know, I totally love your blog and appreciate all the ideas and recipes. If you ever are interested in making it into a book, let me know. I'll send you the link to the company that does it. You are such a great mom and wife! You are such a great cook! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just had these tonight and andrew really liked them. since i only had about a pound of beef i needed to half to qtr the recipe. i settled for doing a 1/3. still turned out well, though a little too sweet. we toasted the buns on the griddle. it was good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to share your own ideas!

Related Posts with Thumbnails